Doing a full monthly backup
From Earlham Cluster Department
Revision as of 13:06, 16 June 2006 by Fitz
- Find a blank DDS-4 tape.
- Label it with the month and year.
- Go to the basement server closet. Use CAB6 to open it.
- Find the tape backup server. Currently, this machine is in the middle shelf closest to the doors, and should have a label identifying it.
- Find the tape autoloader. This is near the bottom of backup's drive bay, labelled "DDS4 Digital Data Storage".
- Push the eject button (the top button). The LCD should change to "EJECT MAGAZINE? PRESS ENTER".
- Push the enter button (the bottom button). The current tape will unload, and the magazine will be ejected after that. This can take several minutes, so be patient.
- Take tape 1 out. This will be the top tape facing you as the magazine ejects.
- Insert the new tape.
- Log in as the operator user on backup with the insecure password.
- Run the command amtape CSMonthly slot 1 to load the first tape.
- Run the command amdump CSMonthly to perform the dump.
- Eject the tape, and load the original tape 1 back in when you receive an email that the dump is done.