Journals

From Earlham Cluster Department

(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Kate's Killer Thoughts and Reflections)
m (Ehren's Elegant Chicken Scratch)
Line 71: Line 71:
**During class on Tuesday we discussed the plan for testing the solar hot water unit with Charlie. © Charlie: remember KISS, keep it simple (I think the second S is for "safe", Charlie didn't say ;).  We discussed the components that we would need, and Kate and I agreed to go shopping.  Charlie wants the test up and running by Tuesday next.
**During class on Tuesday we discussed the plan for testing the solar hot water unit with Charlie. © Charlie: remember KISS, keep it simple (I think the second S is for "safe", Charlie didn't say ;).  We discussed the components that we would need, and Kate and I agreed to go shopping.  Charlie wants the test up and running by Tuesday next.
**Tue: Kate and I purchased all of the supplies on the list (hoses,water pump,copper piping, 10# wire, etc.) from Mendenhal's and TSC.  We used a 10% off coupon at TSC that I'd just recieved with the Pal-Item.  I hope it doesn't take too long to get reembursed.
**Tue: Kate and I purchased all of the supplies on the list (hoses,water pump,copper piping, 10# wire, etc.) from Mendenhal's and TSC.  We used a 10% off coupon at TSC that I'd just recieved with the Pal-Item.  I hope it doesn't take too long to get reembursed.
-
**Sat. met with Kate and Colin at 10 a.m. to start setting up the hot water test.  We worked for about three hours.  Colin and I had to run to Mendenhal's  again to pick up a soldering torch and a junction box, then we swung by Charlie's office to pick up the 64 Watt PV panel he had there.  We got the copper coil in the barrel and sweated on the hose connectors.  We also got the hoses hooked up the solar hot water unit and ran water through to make sure the system was clear.  We hit a snag when we noticed that we would need a special adaptor for the pump before we could get it hooked up to the PV panel, but Kate did find the specs for the Pump online and it seems that it should be fine with only the 3-4 amps that the PV panel will output.  After we put the pimped-out barrel in the basement we called it a day.  I drove over to TSC and picked up the adaptor we needed, along with some hardware to mount the PV panel and an extra 25 feet of 10# gauge.  We're meeting tomorrow to finish the setup.  
+
**Sat. met with Kate and Colin at 10 a.m. to start setting up the hot water test.  We worked for about three hours.  Colin and I had to run to Mendenhal's  again to pick up a soldering torch and a junction box, then we swung by Charlie's office to pick up the 64 Watt PV panel he had there.  We got the copper coil in the barrel and sweated on the hose connectors.  We also got the hoses hooked up the solar hot water unit and ran water through to make sure the system was clear.  We hit a snag when we noticed that we would need a special adaptor for the pump before we could get it hooked up to the PV panel, but Kate did find the specs for the Pump online and it seems that it should be fine with only the 3-4 amps that the PV panel will output.  After we put the pimped-out barrel in the basement we called it a day.  I drove over to TSC and picked up the adaptor we needed, along with some hardware to mount the PV panel and an extra 25 feet of 10# wire.  We're meeting tomorrow to finish the setup.  
*Week of July 17th
*Week of July 17th
**Met with the crew on Tuesday to finish up the hot water audit.  Colin had a nifty little kilowatt-hour calculator written up using the data from the hot water heater user guide site, but looking at the results (102% efficiency) it was clear that something wasn't right with the numbers.  We first corrected the fahrenheit to celsius calculation and then, still noting problems, scrapped some of the calculations from the website and found an online source for converting joules into kilowatt-hours.  After that Colin's program worked great.  I suggested he rewrite it to take as input the standard recharge rate of hot water heaters so that it might be more useful to other interested parties.
**Met with the crew on Tuesday to finish up the hot water audit.  Colin had a nifty little kilowatt-hour calculator written up using the data from the hot water heater user guide site, but looking at the results (102% efficiency) it was clear that something wasn't right with the numbers.  We first corrected the fahrenheit to celsius calculation and then, still noting problems, scrapped some of the calculations from the website and found an online source for converting joules into kilowatt-hours.  After that Colin's program worked great.  I suggested he rewrite it to take as input the standard recharge rate of hot water heaters so that it might be more useful to other interested parties.

Revision as of 19:08, 31 July 2006

Contents

Colin's Cosmic Contemplations

Kate's Killer Thoughts and Reflections

Discovery: Having a job that says that you are "on duty 24 hours a day" does not lend itself to getting a lot of classwork done. oops.

Dan's Dusty Tomes of Lore

Ehren's Elegant Chicken Scratch

Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
websites
wiki
this semester
Toolbox