From Earlham Cluster Department
- Three types recorded: speed, direction, and gusts.
- Instantaneous velocities are sampled every 30 seconds.
- Wind direction is recorded in degrees from true north [5.5.1].
- Average wind direction and speed is determined by averaging the values over a 2-minute period [5.4].
- Wind gusts are the maximum instantaneous speed in the past 10 minutes [5.5.4].
Federal Meteorological Handbook
- [Federal Meteorological Handbook No. 1] - Surface Weather Observations and Reports
Indiana State Climate Office
- Measures once every second, averaged every 5 seconds. The 5 second averages are used in the 2-minute average.
Indiana Climate Data Access
- Lists wind direction, speed, and gust.
- The mode is consisidered the prevailing wind direction.
- Dividing each recording into a north-south and east-west vector, averaging them, and then reassembling the vectors.