From Earlham Cluster Department
To patch the kernel on a FreeBSD system:
- Download the patch to a directory, say /tmp.
- cd /usr/src
- patch < /path/to/patch
- cd sys/i386/conf
- Run config on the kernel configuration file for the machine you want patch.
- cd to the compile directory.
- make clean && make depend && make
- If the machine has secure levels turned on (not a bad idea), you will have to reboot, and input "boot -s" at the FreeBSD boot prompt to go into single user mode.
- At the prompt, cd back into the kernel compilation directory, and run "make install".
- Reboot, and make sure everything comes back up properly.