Building the GIMP
From Earlham Cluster Department
Here's some basic instructions for building the the GIMP from source on the clusters using the bash shell:
- Make sure CVS is set to use ssh as its transport: export CVS_RSH=ssh
- Set your CVSROOT to quark: export CVSROOT=:ext:$USER@cs.earlham.edu:/clients/users/cvs
- Checkout the source tree: cvs co gimp-pd
- Enable support for distcc: export CC=distcc; export CCX=distcc
- Set the distcc hosts you want to use: export DISTCC_HOSTS="host list". For cairo, this would look like export DISTCC_HOSTS="c11 c12 c13 c14"
- cd into the source tree and run configure like so: ./configure --prefix=$HOME/cluster-name/gimp-pd. You can add --enable-mp if the cluster you are running is SMP.
- Run make: make -jn CC=distcc, where n is twice the number of processors available.
- After the make is done, run make install to install it in your home directory.